Sunday, January 25, 2004

I'm a negotiator. It's what I do. It's who I am.

Most people would argue that what you do isn't who you are... but such is not true for me.

I seek out things to negotiate, arguments that need settling, prices that need shaving. I'll negotiate with you, with your boss or your mom. It's sort of like arguing for sport. Only I get paid for it. Yep, I'm a professional.

But that's not the point of this. I, like every other blogger, am a frustrated writer. I would love to write a novel, a short story, a screenplay, a poem. Something that would get published somewhere and by someone who would send me a check for doing it. Since that's not happening for a career, I can resort to Blogspot.

So let's start with today. I woke up at 10:30am today - realized that I didn't have much to do and headed down to the couch to check e-mail and flip on the TV. I'm trying to sell my house and my realtor likes to e-mail me the comments she receives from people who view my house.

The comments today are "Price is great. Backyard is great. Will keep it on our list". She then
asked about the train set."

For those of you not in the know, my house has a train. And not just any old train, this is a lego train. It runs on a lego track which sits on glass shelves that are installed around the edge of my kitchen at ceiling height. Pretty useless, but cool. A great conversation starter.

As you might imagine, however, the train isn't really popular with people who want to buy my house. So there's been an ongoing discussion on how to market the house with the train. Long story short, we have said that the train is "negotiable" - loosely translated it means "we know you won't want it, but we're too lazy to remove it now."

But this new realtor of mine thinks it's time for it to go. So I spent the better part of three hours removing the train and patching the holes in the ceiling... all while watching "Bands Reunited" on VH1.

Now my ceiling looks empty. Barren, even. Oh well... perhaps I should increase the price of the house to compensate.

No comments: